Sunday 25 January 2015

Kurt Frindby & Jakob Erikson: Eve Repentant, after the apple.

Eve repentant
("after the apple")


Visiting a collectors and antiques fair last fall I discovered her and instantly fell in love. Over the years I've had many encounters with objects, prints and paintings "I just could not live without". But too often I had to and did. Older and wiser now, I decided to spend the greater part of my budget-for-this-day on my new muse, not knowing I'ld ever meet her again.  




Kurt Frindby and Jacob Eriksen
?

The label(*) mentions Kurt Frindby (thought to be the retailer) and the artist Jakob Erikson
(*) Googling I actually found two different labels: 

It is, according to the label, an original copy, monogrammed J.E. and its of a sculpture in Charlottenburg Art Exhibition (Kopenhagen). But it's not unique. Googling Frindby and Eriksen (who isn't mentioned in any Lexikon but the Internet says (1899-1995) I found some more examples of my oak "Fynbopigen", which I failed to translate. My heart says: "very nice build girl" which I think she is. And I even found some (not many) examples of other sculptures by illusive Jacob Eriksen.  

Please help me to identify these two men and the history of this sculpture. And if you happen to know the whereabouts of her kneeling sister: please contact me. I'ld love to have her.      








  
August Rodin (1840-1917) and Eve. 




Jakob Eriksen, who-ever he was, obviously was inspired by Rodin's famous sculpture of Eve. My "research" shows Rodin could haven been inspired (he probably was, he knew his colleague Brock very well) by Thomas Brock's "Eve Repentant" exhibited in the Paris World Exhibition in 1898. There are today many copies of Rodin's Eve displayed all over the world.  

Auguste Lepere (1849-1918) and Rodin's Eve.



Lepere, with Henri Rivière and the Beltrand brothers the godfathers of Modern Printmaking, showed his engraving skills combined with a touch of artistic interpretation and a simple extra color block in this original 1898 "the Studio" print of his friend's sculpture I was able to find and purchase recently (thank you Irene !) to accompany my Eve.   

Edward Steichen (1879-1973) and Rodin's Eve. 




Edward Steichen, famous early photographer in Rodins studio (1907) shooting this historical photograph. 

Thomas Brock (1847-1922) and Eve.



Brock was greatly praised and admired for his Eve Repentant. I'm quite sure he was inspired by the paintings of George Watts, sculpting his Eve that is now on display in the Tate Gallery but was in the Paris World Exhibition of 1898.   

George Frederic Watts (1817-1904) and Eve.



Well, I think I've found the source and origin of this chain of Eve Repentant sculptures. It was the third and last of a tryptic ("the new Eve" and "Eve tempted" painted by George Frederic Watts. A project started around 1875 and also exhibited in Paris. These paintings now are also in the Tate in London.    

-----------------------------

All pictures borrowed freely from the Internet for friendly, educational and non commercial use only.  



  


No comments:

Post a Comment